12.29.2011

I can't seem to make up my mind.

When I first got to BYU-Idaho, I thought "I'm going to minor in Home and Family so I can do preschool stuff in case the editor plan doesn't work." As I took a look through all the classes I had to take for that minor, I realized that none of them had anything to do with preschool; they were mainly classes for those who want to get married and immediately be stay-at-home mothers. (Not saying there's anything wrong with that. Its just not the plan for me.)

So, I thought "hey. Cake decorating seems pretty cool. And its a huge business no matter where you go. I'll minor in Culinary Arts." So I got that declared. Got my "eight semester plan" all figured out (aka planned my courses for the next four years of my life). I didn't take any classes for it, however.

I take this past semester off to work. And I came to the conclusion that Culinary Arts is not for me. Especially since I would have had to pay more money on top of tuition for most of the classes.

Then my newspaper advisor from High School wrote me a letter and said I really should look into at least minoring in Journalism. She says I'm an "ace reporter". At the time I had just bought Sheldon, so I thought "hey. I can take a cluster [half a minor] in Journalism and a cluster in Photography. This plan is foolproof!"

Once again, I was wrong.

In order to take Photography 1, I had to either take a drawing class (how the heck are those two related??) or a design and color class (which at first said I HAD to be a photography major, but I got that cleared up). After lots of emails with people in the Visual Arts department at BYU-I, and lots of thinking to myself, I decided that photography would simply be a hobby--not an actual career possibility.

UGH!

So then I reverted back to half my original plan--only this time in the correct department. I decided to do a cluster in Journalism, and a cluster in Child Development (since I love kids). My mom says that in order for me to be successful in the preschool world, I would have to actually run a preschool, not just be a teacher. (She says "preschool teachers don't make squat." Sure.)

But, at this point, I'm just looking for something that I enjoy learning about and will fulfill my "YOU MUST HAVE A MINOR OR 2 CLUSTERS" requirement that is so lovingly placed at the bottom of the page for my major.

I wish I could be so set on my minor/clusters as I was with my major.

No comments:

Post a Comment