11.30.2011

Attitude of Gratitude

Last year, I wrote a post of 30 things that I was grateful for at the time. I've decided to do this every year, because we all need to be more grateful for the things we have. Here are the 30 things I'm grateful for this year.

  1. That I have two jobs. It is a marvelous blessing that I was able to get both of my old jobs back when I came home from school, and it is a blessing that I will be able to work at these two jobs for the next four months.
  2. To live at home. While doing chores is annoying, it is totally worth it if that means no rent and no food costs. And being around my family all the time is awesome. :)
  3. My singles ward. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it on this blog before (if I have, I apologize), but I absolutely LOVE my ward. My bishop is one of the best bishops I’ve ever had. He’s kind, loving, and he genuinely cares for every member of my ward. And then the people in my ward are simply amazing. I’ve been attending for four months, and I still have yet to find a person who won’t be friends with someone simply because they don’t wear the right clothes, have the right hairstyle, drive the right car, etc. This is definitely a great thing to be experiencing, seeing as how the ward I grew up in was very materialistic.
  4. Still grateful for tithing, as it makes my tuition costs lower than standard universities, which means that’s less I have to worry about saving up for. And less worrying for Kelsi = a happy Kelsi. :)
  5. My laptop, (or, as I occasionally call it, “Lappy”. I cannot take credit for that name, however. That belongs to Heidi Stromberg and her family.) which I use every day for basically nothing these days. However, it was a huge help for school. :)
  6. My own room. While I was just fine with sharing a room with someone else for the past year of my life, having my own room, even for only eight months, is amazing. That is all. However, I do need to work on keeping it clean as if I was living with someone else…
  7. My iPod. Without it, my driving job would be VERY boring (I don’t enjoy listening to the radio, except to discover new songs). Along with my iPod, I’m grateful for all the apps I am able to have in the palm of my hand, such as Gospel Library, Words with Friends, Solitaire, Sudoku, and Angry Birds. (I’m addicted. It’s a problem.)
  8. My phone. It is now my main form of communication with people, since I deactivated my Facebook account. (BTW, I’m one month strong!) So far, its being a good little phone and not freezing, randomly turning off, or randomly restarting itself (that really has happened before).
  9. My fancy schmancy new Canon Rebel T3 (His name is Sheldon. There will be a post about him…eventually). I was able to explore it this past Thanksgiving weekend, and while there is TONS I still have to learn about it (and photography in general), I can already tell this is a great investment.
  10. All of the friends I made up in Rexburg. Nancy, Chris, Evan, Chad, Bryce, Sienna, Megan, Hahna, Kristin, Kristen, Kelsi, Fiona, Emily, Ron, and the Schmalle family. You all have changed my life in some way or another while I was up in Rexburg, and I will be forever grateful. I miss you all terribly, and can’t wait to catch up when I get back to Rexburg!
  11. My scriptures. I don’t read them as often as I should, but I love reading them, and re-reading the stories I grew up with.
  12. The temple. Those buildings are the best places on earth. So many great things take place in there, and I am looking forward to the day when I can be sealed for time and all eternity to my husband. I’m grateful that I now have four temples within a literal 20-minute radius of my house, instead of just one. I make a strong effort to go with my ward every month, and sometime before I go back up to Rexburg I want to go with my brother and my sister (and maybe convince my dad to tag along).
  13. Speaking of my dad…after taking a pay-cut at work, he started looking for another job. On Monday, he made the announcement that he had accepted a job offer. Mid December, he will begin working at Fetzer Wood (they did the woodwork in the Conference Center and do the woodwork in temples) as their Controller for their Retail Division. We are all so grateful to everyone who has fasted and prayed for us, and we are most especially thankful to our Heavenly Father for this huge blessing. It will be difficult for my family to adjust to not having him next door anymore, but we feel that this will be a good thing for the family. We are grateful to The Valley Journals for keeping him employed for the past ten years and for giving job opportunities to practically our whole family.
  14. The Purple Beast (aka the minivan I call my car). It puts up with me and my putting 2000 miles a month on it (thank you, driving job). However, it is starting to show signs of age (its 12 years old), and I am hoping and praying that it will be able to last me through April. After that, it can die. Just last through the first week of April, Beastie.
  15. All the friends I am slowly (but surely) making here in Riverton. The lame thing about moving home is everyone from high school is either at their respective schools or on their mission. I’m looking forward to making more friends during my stay here.
  16. My family. They make my day better because they are all so great. Even though I don’t really get to spend a lot of time with them due to work, the times I do get to spend with them are special. I sure will miss them when I go back to Rexburg.
  17. My best friend, Nancy. We were roommates during winter semester, and even though I didn’t get to see her a lot, it was still great to live with her. We haven’t really seen each other since she got married (because both of us moved away), but we talk almost every day, and that’s good enough for me! A couple of weeks ago, I was able to go up to Idaho Falls and visit her for a day, and that was grand.
  18. The Harry Potter books and movies. As mentioned in my previous post, I’m a nerd. More specifically, I’m a Harry Potter nerd. I love the books, and I love the movies. Before I bought all of the movies, the “ABC Family Harry Potter Weekend Event” was the best weekend ever, in my opinion. However, now I can watch all the movies whenever I want.
  19. My family’s garden. Let me make one thing clear: I hate gardening with a fiery passion. But, I’m grateful that my parents decided to make one, because now we are able to eat corn, carrots, peas, green beans, etc instead of having to buy them. It’s a lot of hard work, taking care of a garden. Many an hour was spent at that garden during the summers, weeding, watering, and harvesting. Unfortunately, the property that our garden is on is being sold for commercial property, so this past year was our last year at that location. However, I’m confident that my parents will figure things out before next spring so we will be able to continue gardening.
  20. The gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is quite possibly one of the greatest things in my life. Things I love about it: A) President Thomas S. Monson. He has to be one of the cutest old men ever. His opening remarks at the most recent conference was great. (Hello!) B) My Patriarchal Blessing. It is such a great guidance tool to me. Most of the “earthly” things have yet to happen (to my knowledge…), but I know that they will eventually occur and that they will be what is best for me. C) The knowledge we have about the Atonement. I love knowing that whenever I sin (everyone sins; no one is perfect), I can go through the repentance process, and be able to return to live with my Heavenly Father and Mother, and with Jesus Christ once more.
  21. My newspaper advisor, Ms. April Squires. She has changed my life so much by giving me the opportunity to serve on the newspaper staff at Riverton High, for without that experience I would have never figured out that my true passion is editing. However, she has changed my life once more. Recently she suggested I should minor in Journalism (“you’re an ace reporter”, she says). After giving it a lot of thought, I have decided to do a cluster (sort of like half a minor) in Journalism, with the other cluster being in Photography. We’ll see how this works out. As for right now, that’s the plan.
  22. My clothes. I basically stay in my pajamas all day because my work doesn’t really require me to interact with anyone (except for the occasional checking up on complaints or requests), but for when I do need to dress up, I’m grateful for the clothes that I have to do so. I’m also grateful for my coat to keep me warm, even though it isn’t all that necessary this “winter” in Utah.
  23. Food. It is delicious. Especially in this holiday season. That is all.
  24. The Christmas Lights at Temple Square. I have yet to see them this year, but believe me when I say I will find a way to see them. They are so gorgeous, and it is a great way to bring in the Christmas season. Whoever hasn’t seen them, make it a goal to see them at least once in your life. It is great.
  25. My journal. This past year I’ve written in my journal every day. At the end of this year, I want to go back and look at everything that I’ve gone through this year. However, I don’t think I’ll be doing another “write in it every day” thing any time soon. Too many times I have forgotten to do so and get way behind. Maybe this next year I’ll do one per week, and write a paragraph about each day. I don’t know. All I know is I’m grateful that I’ll be able to look back on my life.
  26. The technology we have access to. Internet, apps, cell phones (that basically do everything these days), etc. If the world’s population today was catapulted back into time (say the early 1900’s), I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be able to survive. Which is a sad thing. But true.
  27. My music. I basically listen to all kinds of music, except Screamo. Music is my escape from the world. I love listening to it while working, and I love singing along to it in my car (which is the only time people will find me singing, except for in church).
  28. Still grateful for the creators of Glee and Bones, and for the creators of New Girl and The Office. Favorite TV shows right now. They provide such great entertainment…even if I do have to wait a week to watch them (I’m still cursing Fox Broadcasting Company for doing that…however, I’m looking into getting a Hulu Plus account, which would let me watch them the day after again).
  29. To be alive. I don’t think I’ll ever understand why I was sent here at this exact point in time, but hopefully one day (perhaps in Heaven) I’ll learn. I’m grateful for everything that I have experienced in this life, for it has made me who I am today.
  30. And finally, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He has done so much for me in my 19 years of life. He has been there for me when literally no one else was. He has given me comfort during times of hardship. Also, my Heavenly Father. He also was there for me when I needed comfort and a friend. He continues to be one of my best friends, and I love my relationship with him, and can only hope I can make it stronger. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I went back and read last year's post again, too. I love your blog! I love you!

    ReplyDelete