6.03.2015

Dear BYU-Idaho Parking Services...

I'm going to try to make this as civil as possible. (Which will be easier to do now that I'm not in the moment of all-encompassing rage that I was in earlier.)

To sum up this letter/post in a nutshell, y'all need to step up your game.

Earlier today, I was roughly 30 minutes late to my class because all of the North zone parking spots were full (except for in the free lot which is WAY farther from the building my class is in than what I would enjoy). Granted, I left my apartment 5 minutes before the class started, so that's where my fault is. But I've noticed that if I want even a chance of getting a spot on campus, I have to be on campus no later than 7:30 AM. That's a little ridiculous considering the fact that none of my classes start until 9 AM.

This is my first semester parking on campus during the day, and I have to say I'm not impressed so far. Here are my reasons why:
  1. Apparently faculty can park wherever they darn well please? There have been far too many times that I've walked through what is designated as student parking, and I see a car with a faculty placard hanging from the mirror. NOT COOL. As evidenced by the map below, the faculty has PLENTY of parking to choose from. They don't have to go taking from the students. Also, if the students have to be held to such a high obligation of making sure they're in the right zone, I think the faculty should also be held to that obligation.
    Blue = North student parking
    Yellow = South student parking
    Red = Faculty/Staff parking
  2. Sometimes it feels like you sell more parking permits than there are parking stalls, and then sit and bask in whatever joy you find from performing such evil. This morning, I was not the only student who had a North zone placard driving all over campus trying to find a spot. Yes, there are the free lots, but those are so far away from a majority of the buildings that you have to tack on probably an extra 15-30 minutes to account for the time spent walking from your car to your destination. 
I thought I had more, but I can't think of them. 

Anyway. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what zone will go in the new parking lot across the street from the Spori. If my vote was worth anything, I'd say you should make it 100% North zone. (But I know that would never happen.)

Have a splendid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment